M.A. Psychology, Oxford. McKinsey Alum. Founder & Editor at TAoL.
Looking for a full, FREE The Checklist Manifesto summary?
You're in the right place!
Here's what you'll find on this page...
The Checklist Manifesto is a fascinating investigation into the ability of checklists in business, medicine and every day life to promote greater efficiency, consistency and safety - by surgeon and public health researcher, Atul Gawande. (208 pages)
Note: This The Checklist Manifesto summary is part of an ongoing project to summarise the Best Productivity Books and Best Self Help Books of all time.
Note: This The Checklist Manifesto summary is a stub. I'll write a full summary later. For now, you'll find enough meta-data here to help you decide if it's worth reading the book.
The Checklist Manifesto Review
TLDR; Checklists are an essential tool for getting things consistently right AND freeing up headspace in the process.
If there’s anything you repeatedly do in life or work that would benefit from consistent execution: put the steps in a checklist, put the checklist somewhere obvious and follow the checklist every single time you repeat the activity.
Like Gawande’s Being Mortal, The Checklist Manifesto is one of those books whose core idea isn’t rocket science, but does a great job of expounding the importance (and wide-reaching relevance) of a simple yet powerful idea with well-written, well-researched case studies.
The Checklist Manifesto Summary
This publisher’s blurb comes from the Profile Books paperback edition of The Checklist Manifesto…
“We live in a world of great complexity, where even the experts struggle to master the challenges they face. But acclaimed surgeon and best-selling writer Atul Gawande finds a remedy in the simplest of techniques: the humble checklist.
First introduced by the US Air Force, checklists have enabled pilots to fly aircraft of mind boggling sophistication. Now they are being adopted in the NHS and hospitals around the world, helping doctors and nurses respond to everything from flu epidemics to avalanches.
Gawande explains how checklists actually work to effect striking and immediate improvements – and he follows the checklist revolution into fields well beyond medicine, from disaster response to investment banking, skyscraper construction and business of all kinds.
The Checklist Manifesto is essential reading for anyone working to get things right.”
The Checklist Manifesto Contents
The Checklist Manifesto has 9 main chapters and 1 appendix…
- The Problem of Extreme Complexity
- The Checklist
- The End of the Master Builder
- The Idea
- The First Try
- The Checklist Factory
- The Test
- The Hero in the Age of Checklists
- The Save
Appendix: Example Checklists
Read More: 5 Books Like The Checklist Manifesto
Enjoyed this The Checklist Manifesto summary? You might enjoy the rest of the books on these lists of the Best Productivity Books and Best Self Help Books of all time.
And in the meantime...
Here are 5 top books like The Checklist Manifesto...
Wish There Was a Faster/Easier Way?
Whenever you’re ready, here are four ways I can help you be more productive, find more balance and live life more on purpose…
- Curious? Discover how productive you really are… Take this free, 2-minute assessment to unlock your PQ and discover the top 25 habits you need to get big things done. Take the 2-minute quiz →
- Overwhelmed? Get a free chapter of my book… Let me show you how to beat procrastination, permanently, with this free sneak peek inside TAoL’s ultimate productivity primer. Download your free chapter →
- Stuck? Grab a 90-Day TRACKTION Planner… Get the tool thousands trust to help them take control of their time, master their habits and hit goals in every part of their lives. Order your 90-day planner →
- Burned out? Join the TRACKTION Community… Take the 6-week masterclass, get weekly group coaching, find accountability partners and connect with like-minded self-starters. Get started FREE →