M.A. Psychology, Oxford. McKinsey Alum. Founder & Editor at TAoL.
Looking for a full, FREE The 80/20 Principle summary?
You're in the right place!
Here's what you'll find on this page...
The 80/20 Principle is a perennial guide to mastering the Pareto principal and doing more with less - by management consultant, venture capitalist and best-selling author, Richard Koch. (288 pages)
Note: This The 80/20 Principle summary is part of an ongoing project to summarise the Best Productivity Books and Best Business Books of all time.
Note: This The 80/20 Principle summary is a stub. I'll write a full summary later. For now, you'll find enough meta-data here to help you decide if it's worth reading the book.
The 80/20 Principle Summary
This publisher’s blurb comes from the Currency paperback edition of The 80/20 Principle…
“How anyone can be more effective with less effort by learning how to identify and leverage the 80/20 principle–the well-known, unpublicized secret that 80 percent of all our results in business and in life stem from a mere 20 percent of our efforts.
The 80/20 principle is one of the great secrets of highly effective people and organizations.
Did you know, for example, that 20 percent of customers account for 80 percent of revenues? That 20 percent of our time accounts for 80 percent of the work we accomplish? The 80/20 Principle shows how we can achieve much more with much less effort, time, and resources, simply by identifying and focusing our efforts on the 20 percent that really counts. Although the 80/20 principle has long influenced today’s business world, author Richard Koch reveals how the principle works and shows how we can use it in a systematic and practical way to vastly increase our effectiveness, and improve our careers and our companies.
The unspoken corollary to the 80/20 principle is that little of what we spend our time on actually counts. But by concentrating on those things that do, we can unlock the enormous potential of the magic 20 percent, and transform our effectiveness in our jobs, our careers, our businesses, and our lives.”
The 80/20 Principle Contents
The 80/20 Principle has 20 main chapters (in 5 parts)…
Part One: Overture
- Welcome to the 80/20 Principle
- How to Think 80/20
Part Two: Corporate Success Needn’t Be a Mystery
- The Underground Cult
- Why Your Strategy Is Wrong
- Simple Is Beautiful
- Hooking the Right Customers
- The Top 10 Business Uses of the 80/20 Principle
- The Vital Few Give Success to You
Part Three: Work Less, Earn and Enjoy More
- Being Free 10 Time Revolution
- You Can Always Get What You Want
- With a Little Help from Our Friends
- Intelligent and Lazy
- Money, Money, Money
- The Seven Habits of Happiness
- Your Hidden Friend
Part Four: The 80/20 Future
- Success Through 80/20 Networks
- When 80/20 Becomes 90/10
- Your Place in the 80/20 Principle
Part Five: The Principle Revisited
- The Two Dimensions of the Principle
Best The 80/20 Principle Quotes
These The 80/20 Principle quotes come from The Art of Living's ever-growing central library of thoughts, anecdotes, notes, and inspirational quotes.
"Those who seize the day become seriously rich."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"The way to create something great is to create something simple."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"There are people who want to achieve - and then there are sane people."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"It may be that you will be happiest in the rat race; perhaps, like me, you are basically a rat."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"Golden rules for career success: 1. Specialize in a very small niche; develop a core skill; 2. Choose a niche that you enjoy, where you can excel and stand a chance of becoming an acknowledged leader; 3. Realize that knowledge is power; 4. Identify your market and your core customers and serve them best; 5. Identify where 20 percent of effort gives 80 percent of returns; 6. Learn from the best; 7. Become self-employed early in your career; 8. Employ as many net value creators as possible; 9. Use outside contractors for everything but your core skill; 10. Exploit capital leverage."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"We can change the way that we think about external events, even where we cannot change them. And we can do something more. We can intelligently change our exposure to events that make us either happy or unhappy."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"Who you work for is more important than what you do."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
"It is not shortage of time that should worry us, but the tendency for the majority of time to be spent in low-quality ways."- Richard Koch, The 80/20 Principle
Read More: 5 Books Like The 80/20 Principle
Enjoyed this The 80/20 Principle summary? You might enjoy the rest of the books on these lists of the Best Productivity Books and Best Business Books of all time.
And in the meantime...
Here are 5 top books like The 80/20 Principle...
Wish There Was a Faster/Easier Way?
Whenever you’re ready, here are four ways I can help you be more productive, find more balance and live life more on purpose…
- Curious? Discover how productive you really are… Take this free, 2-minute assessment to unlock your PQ and discover the top 25 habits you need to get big things done. Take the 2-minute quiz →
- Overwhelmed? Get a free chapter of my book… Let me show you how to beat procrastination, permanently, with this free sneak peek inside TAoL’s ultimate productivity primer. Download your free chapter →
- Stuck? Grab a 90-Day TRACKTION Planner… Get the tool thousands trust to help them take control of their time, master their habits and hit goals in every part of their lives. Order your 90-day planner →
- Burned out? Join the TRACKTION Community… Take the 6-week masterclass, get weekly group coaching, find accountability partners and connect with like-minded self-starters. Get started FREE →