First Things First Summary
This publisher’s blurb comes from the Pocket Books 2002 paperback edition of First Things First…
“In the first real breakthrough in time management in years, Stephen R. Covey and A. Roger Merrill apply the insights of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People to the daily problems of people who must struggle with the ever-increasing demands of work and home life.
First Things First shows:
- Why your previous attempts to manage time failed
- What the connections are between time management and money management
- How to delegate without losing control
- How to rediscover your power and passion
- How to lead your life, not just manage your time.
With the wisdom and insight that made The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People a bestseller, First Things First will empower you to define what is truly important; to accomplish worthwhile goals; and to lead rich, rewarding and balanced lives.”
First Things First Contents
First Things First has 15 main chapters (in 4 sections) and 3 appendices…
Section One: The Clock and the Compass
- How Many People on Their Deathbed Wish They’d Spent More Time at the Office?
- The Urgency Addiction
- To Live, to Love, to Learn, to Leave a Legacy
Section Two: The Main Thing Is to Keep the Main Thing the Main Thing
- Quadrant II Organizing: The Process of Putting First Things First
- The Passion of Vision
- The Balance of Roles
- The power of Goals
- The Perspective of the Week
- Integrity in the Moment of Choice
- Learning from Living
Section Three: The Synergy of Interdependence
- The Interdependent Reality
- First Things First Together
- Empowerment from the Inside Out
Section Four: The Power and Peace of Principle-Centered Living
- From Time Management to Personal Leadership
- The Peace of the Results
- Appendix A: Mission Statement Workshop
- Appendix B: A Review of Time Management Literature
- Appendix C: The Wisdom Literature
Best First Things First Quotes
These First Things First quotes come from The Art of Living's ever-growing central library of thoughts, anecdotes, notes, and inspirational quotes.
"It’s not enough to dream. It’s not enough to try. It’s not enough to set goals or climb ladders. It’s not enough to value. The effort has to be based on practical realities that produce the result. Only then can we dream, set goals, and work to achieve them with confidence."- Stephen Covey, First Things First
"Urgency addiction is a self-destructive behavior that temporarily fills the void created by unmet needs. And instead of meeting these needs, the tools and approaches of time management often feed the addiction. They keep us focused on daily prioritization of the urgent."- Stephen Covey, First Things First
Read More: 5 Books Like First Things First
And in the meantime...
Here are 5 top books like First Things First...
Wish There Was a Faster/Easier Way?
Whenever you’re ready, here are four ways I can help you be more productive, find more balance and live life more on purpose…
- Curious? Discover how productive you really are… Take this free, 2-minute assessment to unlock your PQ and discover the top 25 habits you need to get big things done. Take the 2-minute quiz →
- Overwhelmed? Get a free chapter of my book… Let me show you how to beat procrastination, permanently, with this free sneak peek inside TAoL’s ultimate productivity primer. Download your free chapter →
- Stuck? Grab a 90-Day TRACKTION Planner… Get the tool thousands trust to help them take control of their time, master their habits and hit goals in every part of their lives. Order your 90-day planner →
- Burned out? Join the TRACKTION Community… Take the 6-week masterclass, get weekly group coaching, find accountability partners and connect with like-minded self-starters. Get started FREE →