by Arthur Worsley
M.A. Psychology, Oxford. McKinsey Alum. Founder & Editor at TAoL.
M.A. Psychology, Oxford. McKinsey Alum. Founder & Editor at TAoL.
3. The 30 Best Long NONFICTION Books of All Time
6. The 30 Best Long FICTION Books of All Time
How Long Is a Long Book?For the sake of these long book recommendations, I’ve set our cut off at 500+ pages. Why 500 pages? Unlike my list of the best short books of all time, this cut off is totally arbitrary. One thing’s for sure, though. If you’re looking for something to keep you busy through at least five or more 2 hour reading sessions then you won’t go amiss with these books. I’ve split the lists of best long books below into: TAoL’s many book recommendations if you’re looking for a more targeted read.
Why These Best Long Books and Not Others?Why these best long books and not others? The long books below are the top picks from my huge database of the top books of all time, ranked by a combination of Goodreads rating, number of Goodreads reviews and first publication date. The aim is to surface what’s most loved, what’s most popular and what’s proven timelessly relevant. Think something’s missing? Email me and I’ll add it to the next round of updates. I honestly love hearing from you so please, do get in touch!
The 30 Best Long NONFICTION Books of All TimeHere are the best 30 long nonfiction books of all time (500 pages or more, including biographies) from my database…
Books 1-10: The Top 10 Best Long Nonfiction BooksThe top 10 best long nonfiction books of all time are…
8. The Feynman Lectures on Physics – Richard P. Feynman
Published 1964 // 1,552 pages // Rated 4.6 over 6,700 reviews on Goodreads
Books 11-30: 20 Great Long Nonfiction Books to Read NextHere are the next 20 best long nonfiction books from my database…
21. Institutes of the Christian Religion – John Calvin
Published 1536 // 1,810 pages // Rated 4.1 over 9,700 reviews on Goodreads
27. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration – Weston A. Price (Summary)
A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
Published 1939 // 524 pages // Rated 4.4 over 1,900 reviews on Goodreads
The 30 Best Long FICTION Books of All TimeHere are the best 30 long fiction books of all time (500 pages or more, excluding books of poetry and plays) from my database… Note: To maximize diversity, I’ve only included the top entry from a series (e.g., Harry Potter) on the list where multiple long books from that series would have otherwise featured.
Books 1-10: The Top 10 Best Long Fiction BooksThe top 10 best long fiction books of all time are…
1. The Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings, #1) – J.R.R. Tolkien
Published 1954 // 1,216 pages // Rated 4.4 over 2,242,600 reviews on Goodreads
2. The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
The king of all adventure and slow-burning revenge stories. The Count of Monte Christo may not be a quick read, but fantastic characters, a gripping plot and masterful twists make it an obvious contender for one of the best books of all time – by master novelist, Alexandre Dumas.
Published 1844 // 1,276 pages // Rated 4.3 over 714,300 reviews on Goodreads
3. Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
An epic coming of age and historical romance novel, Gone With the Wind paints a stunning portrait of the hardships endured and created by the young daughter of a wealthy plantation owner as she fights for survival against the chaos of pre-, during- and post-civil war Georgia – by novelist and journalist, Margaret Mitchell.
Published 1936 // 1,037 pages // Rated 4.3 over 1,037,700 reviews on Goodreads
5. The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Widely acclaimed as one of the best books of all time, The Brothers Karimazov is a masterwork of philosophy and theology that explores the nature of faith, doubt and reason in a fast-changing world, through the lives, mishaps and thoughts of its unforgettable cast of characters – by novelist and philosopher Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Published 1879 // 796 pages // Rated 4.3 over 226,400 reviews on Goodreads
Books 11-30: 20 Great Long Fiction Books to Read NextHere are the next 20 best long fiction books from my database…
11. A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire, #1) – George R.R. Martin
The first of 7 planned books in the Song of Ice and Fire series. The award-winning A Game of Thrones is a carnal, power-hungry, back-stabbing, plot-twisting journey through the heart and the history of Westeros – by best-selling (when he gets round to it) author, George R.R. Martin.
Published 1996 // 835 pages // Rated 4.5 over 1,966,500 reviews on Goodreads
13. The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) – Ken Follett
Published 1989 // 973 pages // Rated 4.3 over 616,000 reviews on Goodreads
14. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) – J.K. Rowling
Published 2000 // 734 pages // Rated 4.6 over 2,406,100 reviews on Goodreads
21. A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) – George R.R. Martin
Published 2000 // 1,177 pages // Rated 4.5 over 638,300 reviews on Goodreads
30. The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) – Patrick Rothfuss
The first of 3 planned books in the Kingklller Chronicles. If you’re into “orphan prodigy coming of age” stories (who isn’t?) then The Name of the Wind‘s superb characters, plot and pacing make this a fantasy must-read – by best-selling fantasy author and end-of-series procrastinator, Patrick Rothfuss.
Published 2007 // 662 pages // Rated 4.5 over 695,500 reviews on Goodreads
More Book RecommendationsEnjoyed this list of the best long books of all time? Here’s a breakdown of all the book lists and book recommendations on the site… [block id=”best-books-nav-h3″]
Wish There Was a Faster/Easier Way?
Whenever you’re ready, here are four ways I can help you be more productive, find more balance and live life more on purpose…
- Curious? Discover how productive you really are… Take this free, 2-minute assessment to unlock your PQ and discover the top 25 habits you need to get big things done. Take the 2-minute quiz →
- Overwhelmed? Get a free chapter of my book… Let me show you how to beat procrastination, permanently, with this free sneak peek inside TAoL’s ultimate productivity primer. Download your free chapter →
- Stuck? Grab a 90-Day TRACKTION Planner… Get the tool thousands trust to help them take control of their time, master their habits and hit goals in every part of their lives. Order your 90-day planner →
- Burned out? Join the TRACKTION Community… Take the 6-week masterclass, get weekly group coaching, find accountability partners and connect with like-minded self-starters. Get started FREE →